Friday, December 09, 2005

Amusing readings

So I had a friend dealing with some overheat issues on a server machine, and he had made some changes to the chassis and cpu heat sink and fan to attempt to remedy them.

As I read tru the changes, everything seemed pretty ok, as today cpu fans come with easy specs like "for p4 3.0ghz".

But then I remembered reading some time in the past an article about thermal resistance, however all I could say is that lower numbers means better heat transition.

Anyways, I got curious (I guess I am a curious person) and did a little research on the web for such topic.

I do not know, maybe I was lucky, but I landed on a site with articles for a guy named Tony Kordyban regarding Cooling Electronics.

And I was hook. I mean, most of the articles included more math than I was willing to read, however the relaxed writing style, and the spicy sense of humor kept me reading article after article.

I would have to say, that the lecture was truly inspiring. I mean I was even at times laughing at what I was reading. Come on, some of the articles where deep in formulas and *serious* stuff, nevertheless, amusing. Not to be misinterpreted as goofy, as his writings ,altought lacked of any bragging, gave him a feeling of extremely knoledgeable.

Anyways here is the link for the readings [scroll down for Tony Kordyban]. And I have also found out he wrote a book.
Hot Air Rises and Heat Sinks: Everything You Know About Cooling Electronics Is Wrong

No comments: