Sunday, December 18, 2005

Huge Rocks

Saturday 17, there was a get together at Campana.
We where supposed to get there by 4pm, so we could all share a sunset, some wine and some cheese.

By 5pm, I was still at the city. And I had not picked up Mayte yet.
O well, we were so late fot the Club EcoAventura Wine and Cheese Afternoon, that I decided that it would not harm to stop on the way to eat something (Chilly Hot Dog's).

When I got to the park entrance, I got of my car to get a good satellite reading and mark the waypoint.
[8.427 North ,79.528 West, 194 Meters hight], is when I realized how windy was the night, and that being there just wearing my short pants might not have been the best idea.

Takes a little wile to get to the actual park view sight..
It is a road that goes up and down, but by the end we had gained 444 meters (1456 feet).
[And just for reference that is at 8.41413 North, 79.54643 West, 638 Meters hight.]

The French baguettes where a bit softy now, so I place them in the engine area of my car (without the engine running) [the big and hot diesel engine makes a good oven].

Anyways, I went upstairs with my friends, and attempted to get the fondue going.
It melted, to the point where I could dip some bread in it. However, not as hot as I like it.

After a while, I gave up. The constant wind blowing at 19 C (66F) made us all decide it was not worth it. So we all left.

I sent Mayte home (like a package) on someone else's car, and begun driving myself onto my next adventure.

I drove, and drove, and I was not sure where I was. I thought I had arrived, but no, it was Anton.
So I drove some more. By 10pm approx, I got to the Guayacanes Hotel. I had not made a reservation, and I was surprised to find out that the hotel was full.

I left the place with a creepy feeling. So, into the next hotel, 2 Continentes, and it was practically full too. They had available a double queen beds room. Gezz, I took it.

The Hotel was Ok. The corridors where clean with sofas. The room, altought had no decoration, was spacious and neat.
And the best, the unexpected, ahhhh, there was hot water (very hot).

Next morning, even thought I did not slept that much, I woke up early, and energetic. Desire is something that always provides me with more energy than caffeine.

So I head up for Ichi's house. Well I really do not know where he lives, but thanks to celular technologies that becomes a piece of cake (however I did got lost for 30 minutes before I actually decided to make the call).

Even thought I had burned over half an our touring around the town, I was still the first to arrive. So I had the opportunity to talk a little bit with Ichi's father. A bird watcher expert.

A couple of minutes more, and almost simultaneously arrived Harold and his girlfriend Lizi (that had drove that morning all the way from Panama city). And Ichi with a Canadian couple (whose names I can not remember now).

We pack our stuff (backpacks, rappel ropes, more rope, helmets, cooler, harnesses, more stuff, gps, people, gezz it looks like we are leaving for a week), and left.

On the route, we picked up a girl named Kenia (I believe) and her mother, and then straight to ... the supermarket! to get even more supplies (water, Gatorade, snacks)...

The Canadian guy paid for it. (He was a generous guy). I feel kind of bad that I can not remember his name.

All right, now for real, we are leaving. We are going to a place called "Los Chorros de Olá".

And so we got there, after a brief hike.
And then we hiked some more, to get further close to the origin of the river.
Until we could not hike (safely) any longer.

Obviously (and specially me) we stop many times on the way, to feel a cold splash of water (I did most of my hiking tru the river).

On the way back, the group split, Ichi Harold and I left tru a different route. We wanted to do a rappel on one of the water falls.
However the conditions where not adequate, and we had to retrieve.

Back at Ichi's house, I we were welcomed with great hostpitality. There is nothing like a good "sancocho" [a Panamanian soup] and chicken with rice, home made, to regain the depeled energy. Followed by a 45 minutes rest on a hamok.

And then I had to say good by, and leave.
It was time to come back home.

It was a great weekend.




I almost forgot to add (actually I did, and I am editing the post), this adventure was possible thanks to Ichi and his wife Ivy. They lead a club named “Coclé Aventuras”, and provide an unique personalized experience that is imposible to find on larger groups. If you feel the need to contact them, just drop them a line at cocleaventuras@yahoo.com. (They are bilingual).



[Hotel room number]


[Here I was lost]


[The Fellowship]



























































4 comments:

Lizi said...

The Canadian is called Antuaine (not sure of the spelling).

It was a great adventure !!!

mauroreyes said...

TE FELICITO POR TU GRAN AVENTURA. VISITASTE MIS TIERRAS, LAS TIERRAS DE COCLÉ Y TE RECOMIENDO VISITES LAS PLAYAS DE SANTA CLARA, FARALLON Y EL PUEBLO DE ANTON...SOLO PASASTE POR AHI. MI NOMBRE ES MAURO REYES Y TE INVITO QUE VISITES MI BLOG..

WWW.MAUROREYES.BLOGSPOT.COM

ESPERO MANTENGAMOS CONTACTO, PUES ME INTERESA MUCHO EL ECOTURISMO Y VEO QUE HAS VIAJADO BASTANTE POR EL PAIS...ERES MPANAMEÑO O EXTRANJERO?...

BUENO MI CORREO ES
MAUROREYES@HOTMAIL.COM

SALUDOS, Y ESPERO DEJES TUS COMENTARIOS EN MI BLOG.

P.D. LEO Y HABLO INGLES PERO PREFERI ESCRIBIR EN ESPAÑOL....SI NO ENTIENDES ME DICES..JAJAJA

CUIDESE MUCHO Y FELIZ AÑO

Ichi said...

Thanks 4 yr comments about Cocle Aventuras Roman!! To be honest we run the club along with the other members.

Sorry about La Laguna, in the end, we made a discount for Harold n Lizy. Llevaron su carro y un pocoton de cosas mas.

La pasamos demasiado solido para ser cierto. Hubo que volver a buscar leña porque la conversa y los cuentos se extendieron hasta pasada la medianoche. Hubiera sido solido que aparecieras como me dijeron que planeabas llegar. Mira que los de Penonome llegaron recien empezando la noche.

Ah, los canadienses se llaman Andre y Chantal.

Lizi said...

Hay sí, era Andre.