Saturday, November 25, 2006

Pulling the Plug

Last week. I was "realizing" that maybe I invest (spent) too much time and energy surfing the net. Ahh the great modern times.

Then I thought, how would my life be like, if I did not had the modern commodities?
In an spontaneous decision (impulsive?) I disconnected plugs.
I set myself ¨free" from the cell phone, land line, and Internet.
[I kept the electricity, otherwise the meat in the fridge would go raw].
[I do not have a TV, so one plug less to pull].

Now what?
At first, I thought I was going to go insane. I mean, I have a very active mind, I am always thinking about something (aren't we all?) I needed to direct that energy somewhere.

Anxiety, anxiety and more anxiety.

I guess I am really an addicted, and I was feeling the cut-off effects.

By Wednesday I had the situation "controlled".
I felt perfectly ok about not having Internet, a computer, or telephony services.
I actually had a general sensation of well being.
I had forgotten about the "society", I was once again doing whatever I wanted, without the concerns or expectations of the world.
I get that a lot, whenever I get alone. [And it tends to creep out some people].

Then on Tuesday as I was "reading" an old book, I came across a paragraph that basically said that "It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after out own; but the great man is who in the midst of the crowd keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude" - The Essential Writings; Ralph Waldo Emerson.


And although I realized I belong to the segment that is influenced by the society, it came as a strange relief, knowing that I was not the only one having that kind of issues.

How is this "new information" (the book was written in 1841) will affect me?, I do not know.
Time will tell.

Then I came back "online", and realized I did not miss much.

1 comment:

giacmc said...

I've been reading through my grandparents' and greatgrandparents' books. Several volumes of Emerson from the 1890's. Wish I'd read him earlier. Stoic, but with an American selfconfidence and selfsufficiency that seem to've faded away nowadays.