Sunday, August 29, 2004

Bike Tuning

I have recently discovered a new hobby.

“Bike Tuning”.

At first it wasn’t really a hobby. About a month ago, I sent my bike for a total tune up at the bike shop.
Just after it came out of it, I tested the bike on a trail, and broke it. I have already explained about the replacement of the broken derailleur. What I fail to mention, is that I also spent a good hour cleaning the bike, taking out every wire and oiling it. Checking the brakes, and restoring some of the lost tension of them.

Last night I was thinking about it. This “bike Tuning” hobby, is simple enough for me to do it, and at the same time, complex enough to provide some challenge, and of course, enjoyment time.

This week, after tuning it, I have been out, testing it. Going up hills, downstairs, off road terrain, jumping, breaking hard, climbing the sidewalk, etc. I know this will probably get the bike out of shape, but now I can enjoy it, as I know, when I go home, I can always tune it myself. It is like a double joy. Playing with the bike, and healing the bike.

Today I want to the Causeway with my friend Jelix and his brother. This is the place where most of the time I bike around.
The Amador Causeway is a land fill made to connect three small islands, Noas, Perico and Flamenco with the mainland.
It is a 10Km long ride, and sometimes, I ride all the way to the top of the Flamenco Island (proper authorization is required to get there).

Today I brought my digital, and took a shot to show off what am I talking about.






No comments: