Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Luck

Tonight as I was coming back from jogging, I was thinking about “luck”. What is it?

Well, let's consider that I do not buy lottery tickets, will I get lucky? Definitively not.

Or that I do not start a business, will I get lucky on business?, neither.

So then luck is a two parts process. I have to put one part [my action] and luck will put the other [the one I have no control over].

So I went back on my head, thinking of the moments I have been lucky, and came up with a few.

The most memorable was a set of pictures I took on October 2004, two months after I bought a digital camera. Those pictures came out “spectacular”. The sunrise was superb, and I felt so lucky to have taken them.

Now, let's take a more complete analysis of the preceding events.


  1. I searched the net, for a digital camera. Invested hours reading characteristics and trying to figure out the best choice for “my lifestyle”.


  2. Took the risk of ordering a $400.00 camera over the Internet to be shipped overseas (forget warranty), just because the model I wanted was not available locally.


  3. Felt the desire to go out, and take some sunrise pictures, to try out the camera on the outdoors.


  4. Plan to wake up early, at 3am, so I could drive and get to the beach just in time for the sunrise.


  5. Actually followed the plan next morning, when the alarm clock beeped. (this was a thought one)


  6. Got to the beach, and saw an spectacular sunrise. There was no way I could have known how it was going to be, where the clouds would be, what colors will be showing off.


  7. Took lots of shots. Even got in the water (being still dress) to take better shots.


Out of all this events, the actual luck was in point 6, where the sunrise was spectacular.

It would still have been spectacular, even if I did not followed any of the previous five points. But I would have missed (would not even know about it).

This leads me to conclude, that luck is a two parts process. One part is my action, and the other is the luck. Luck itself, does not exist.

I find this thought, inspiring. Is in it? [or maybe I am still high on the endorphins, from jogging an hour]

There was no way I could have known how it was going to be, where the clouds would be, what colors will be showing off.

No comments: